Saturday, November 26, 2011

Just We Two - Opposable Thumbs

I have been napping quite a bit lately, mostly to keep warm.  I even welcome Mina’s proximity, since she has some heat to share.  It is mutual, I guess.

Anyway, to get to my subject.  Opposable thumbs are highly touted, but I think perhaps they are highly overrated, too.  Mom used to tease Cherokee and me about not having opposable thumbs.  She would show us how she could pick up things and then laugh a little at us because we couldn’t do that.  Well, we have sharp claws and sharp teeth that do a pretty good job of picking things up, believe me.  No, we can’t pick up a book or a piece of furniture, but they would be too heavy for us anyway.  Also, why would we want to pick up those particular things?  They are of no importance to us.  Well, maybe a little importance, as we do sleep on the furniture and occasionally we do read, but we have no reason to pick up anything like that.

Lately, Mom has been complaining that her wonderful opposable thumbs are hurting a lot, because she picks up a lot of heavy law books in her job.  I don’t know what law books are, but she says they are very heavy, as books go.  She has to pick up a lot of them with her wonderful opposable thumbs when she is at work, and now those very same thumbs are hurting and she doesn’t like to pick things up much right now.  Ha!  So much for opposable thumbs!  Now she is pretty helpless, since she doesn’t have sharp claws or sharp teeth.  Are cats superior, or what!

Actually, we do have a little bit of a thumb-like appendage on each leg, but they just don’t work quite like human thumbs.  They are not long enough to be very useful for things other than scratching something or someone.  At that they do a nice job.  Unfortunately, Mom and Dad get mad when we scratch stuff with those claws or any other claws.  They just spoil all the fun in life.

I have been spending a lot of nights sleeping on the bed with Mom and Dad.  I usually end up being shut in the room with them, because Mina can’t manage to behave herself and keeps playing with their feet, or getting up on the dresser and knocking the big chain against the wall, so they throw her out and shut the door.  She doesn’t like to sleep all night, because she just wants to play.  Well, too bad for her!  I love sleeping with them.  Cherokee wasn’t much for sleeping all night, either, but he would just leave the bedroom and play somewhere else, except for the last couple of years.  Then he would sleep peacefully at Mom’s feet every night.

Right now, I’m a little worried about Mom.  She smells funny and all I want to do is stay close to her to help keep her safe.  I don’t know what’s going on, but she has been telling me that she will be fine.  She tells me that she will go to the hospital (whatever that is) and when she comes home she will be just fine.  Can I believe her?  I hope so.  I don’t want to lose Mom.  I’m sure life with just Dad would be great, but I have been with Mom for a very long time, and I think that maybe losing Mom would be worse than losing Cherokee, if that is possible.  I will continue to worry about Mom until she can prove to me that she is fine.  We will find out next week.

Well, I’m tired again.  This cold weather just takes it all out of me and I find I must nap a lot.

Yours,

Apache

No comments:

Post a Comment