Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Just We Two - Ruminations

Well, it's dark outside, and I'm done napping for a while.  I had a good rest, thank you.

I've been thinking a lot lately and many ideas have been running around my head.  I mentioned fresh bird before, and I would like to expand on that.  Catching birds is not necessarily about eating, although if you live in the wild it is.  I like to catch them because they make me angry!  They are very annoying, especially those buzz birds, or maybe they are big bugs even.  Mom says they are called hummingbirds, but I call them buzz birds.  When I am outside on the patio, they buzz my head constantly and I just hate that buzzing sound.  They are always just beyond my reach, and very fast.  I'm pretty fast myself, but they really are fast.  Mom says they are not big enough to even be a snack for me, but I don't care.  I would just like to stop that buzzing.  Other birds, that I haven't even seen, make me crazy, too.  One makes sort of a squawking sound.  Mom likes it - says it sounds a little like a parrot, and says they are called boat-tailed grackles.  I would like to catch them, too.  Sometimes I hear those crazy doves all day long.  O-o-oh what I would like to do to them to make them stop that constant cooing noise!  Mom says they are Inca doves.  Finally, there is what Mom calls the mockingbird.  A very hateful bird!  Sometimes they even sing at night!  They sing very loud and sing lots of different songs.  They sound really meaty, though!  Mom loves them all and tries to get me to see their good sides, but I would catch and eat them all if I could.

Cherokee loved to sit on the window sill behind the cat's claw vines and watch the little buzz birds.  He was just fascinated by them and was not particularly interested in catching one.  He always left the hunting to me.  If I would bring one of the little, icky green things into the house, he was always happy to play with it or its tail, but he just was not into catching anything, only playing.  I do love to go out onto the patio and catch things.  There are the loud, black bugs that Mom says are called crickets.  What fun!  Also, one time I caught a grasshopper (at least that's what Mom called it).  They hop around all kinds of ways and present a real challenge to my hunting skills.  I love it!

One time, Mom let us out onto the patio in the morning, before she left.  It was cool and nice out there and it was a great day for exploring.  Mom never let us go up on the wall (if she saw us, that is), but I felt it was worth taking a chance on that particular day.  I went a long way down the wall and saw into all sorts of houses and patios.  I heard Mom calling us to go back into the house, but I just didn't feel like it.  Things were much too interesting up on the wall.  Later on, when I was done looking around, I went back to our patio, but found the door closed and locked.  What a shock!  What was I going to do?  No food, no water, no comfy bed or chair to lie on.  I found a shady place and I lay down on the bricks and just waited for Mom to open the door.  Well, she didn't open the door until she got home from wherever it was she went.  She was angry to find me out there, because she thought I had come into the house before she called and had been hiding under the bed.  She scolded me, and it was quite a while before we were let out again.  I don't think she ever let us go out by ourselves again.  Sometimes Cherokee would jump up on the wall, but he was too chicken to go anywhere, and Mom would yell at him and he would immediately jump down and go back into the house.

There were a lot of strange cats in the neighborhood.  I met some of them on my sojourn that day I went down the wall.  They told me that they lived outside in a colony and that I would be welcome to join them.  It seemed very tempting at first, but then I remembered the nice, soft furniture that I would lie on and the delicious food that Mom served.  I decided that it was best to go home.  My wild life had been left behind long before and probably it was best to leave it that way.  I had heard that there were some scary things out there - owls, hawks and eagles, and coyotes (I think this is a kind of dog).  If I lived outside with the wild cats, there would be a lot of danger, and I didn't think I wanted that.  Safety, a soft bed, good food served to me, a brother to play with - what more could I want.

All I can say is: life happens.  And much of it did.  There are so many changes that we have to face, some of them life-altering.  I always try to put on my happy face and move on, even though sometimes it's very, very hard to do.

Mom is going to bed now, so I think I will go with her.  It's so soft and warm in the bed with her and it's so nice, especially when Pest leaves us alone.  Good night!

Yours,

Apache

No comments:

Post a Comment