Friday, June 24, 2011

Just We Two - My Name is Mina

It’s a little bit boring right now.  I’ve been trying to play with Miss Patchy, but she got angry and growled and hissed at me and went back to sleep.  All she does is sleep.  I don’t think she feels very good.  I’ve heard Mom and Dad talking about Miss Patchy going to the vet on Monday to have dental surgery.  They are a little worried, but they want her to feel better and maybe have some more energy.  I think that would be great!  I would like it if she would play with me.

When I first met Mom, I was curled up in a cage with two of my sisters.  We were sleeping at the time, but we were always ready to play.  They took the three of us into a little room where Mom was sitting.  My sisters went all over the place, but I kind of liked Mom and decided to climb up into her lap.  It was a very nice lap, and I thought maybe she would be staying with us.  That was not to be the case, though.  They put me back with my sisters, but not for long.  They then put me in a cardboard box with a few small holes in it and a handle.  It was locked so I couldn’t get out.  I was pretty scared, but Mom tried to comfort me.  I cried a lot, but she kept scratching on the outside of the box and I was quiet while I tried to figure out what was making the noise.  When Mom and I left the place where I had been living with my sisters, she walked for quite a little way and then we sat for a while.  I heard a lot of noise outside the box, and it was scary.

Finally, a big noisy thing came along and stopped by us, hissing as it did so.  Mom and I got into it and we rolled away.  That was scary, too.  Lots of strange people and smells.  After a little while, we got off – Mom said it was called a bus – and did some more walking.  Not too much later, we went inside a place.  It smelled good, like other felines.  It was still scary, though, because it did not smell like my sisters or my furry mom.  Anyway, Mom gently took me out of the box and showed me to Miss Patchy.  She introduced us, but Miss Patchy growled and hissed and did not seem to be happy to meet me.  Mom said that I had to live in a separate room for a little while, so that Miss Patchy and I could get used to being in the same house.  I found a place to hide, under the sofa bed.  I was very small.  Mom was upset and finally managed to get me out.  She stuffed towels around the bottom of the sofa bed so I couldn’t get under there.  I learned to move the towels from around the sofa bed not long after I moved in, but now I’m too big to fit under there.

In my room there was a furry bed with a little blanket, a litter pan and food and water dishes.  All the comforts of home, except for my sisters.  I missed them very much.  My room had a cement floor and it was cold.  Some of it was covered with a rug, and Mom brought in what she called a radiator to keep the room warm for me.  Nonetheless, I began to cough and sneeze and my nose was running all the time.  After a couple of days, Mom put me back in the box.  I thought maybe I was going back to live with my sisters, but, instead, we walked to the vet.  They did some nasty things to me and then we walked back home.  Mom had some medicine that she had to give me, and she put stuff in our food, too.  She also got a little thing (she called it a humidifier) that made the air a little wet.  It made it a little easier for me to breathe.

When I got better, Mom let me go out into the house for a while every day, so Miss Patchy and I could get acquainted.  She still was not very friendly to me, but she didn’t hurt me – she just stayed away from me. 

It wasn’t long before I was able to go upstairs and I discovered THE BED!  It was soft and warm when Mom and Dad were in it.  I used to go under the covers and sleep between the two of them.  Miss Patchy stayed out on top of the covers.  Mom was always afraid that either she or Dad would roll over on me, but I was pretty quick to move if they did.

My new home came with lots of toys.  Later, Miss Patchy told me that all the toys had belonged to her and Mr. Cherokee, but only Mr. Cherokee liked to play.  He was no longer there, so the toys were now mine.  There were lots of fun things, and I was constantly busy playing with them, except when I fell asleep, which was a lot.  I kept dashing from one toy to another, trying to play with all of them, so none of them would feel left out.  There was a ring with a ball inside, a stick with a string on it, and lots of little mice.  There were other things, too, but those are my favorites.

Dad wasn’t home when I moved in, but he joined us a little later.  I could tell that he liked me a lot, and he has since proved that to me.  I love to help him on the computer and sit on his lap, or lie up on top of the computer desk.  It is kind of high, so I can see everything from there.  With Mom, I like to hug.  I get up on her lap, reach up and put my arms around her neck.  I then knead her neck and purr a lot.  She loves it, but keeps telling me to be careful with my claws, because it hurts her.  She never tells me to get down, though, so I think she likes it as much as I do.

Miss Patchy has taught me that I should sleep all day, like her, so I do that most of the time.  I am then ready to play at night.  When Mom and Dad get into bed and turn out the lights, I get up on the dresser and play with the chain that is hanging down the wall.  It makes a really nice noise when it hits the wall.  Unfortunately, Mom and Dad don’t appreciate it the way I do and make me leave the bedroom and then shut the door on me.  Maybe some day I will be like Miss Patchy and sleep all day and all night.  Sounds boring, though.

The temperatures seem much warmer these days, than when I moved in.  Mom says it is summer now and it is very hot outside.  Something fascinating is going on now in the house.  Sometimes when we are in a room, I will feel a little breeze coming from above.  When I look up, I see something turning around on the ceiling.  I want so much to get up there to investigate, but so far have not discovered a way to do that.  I have investigated most of the house, but a few things remain to be done.  Hopefully, I will be able to do them before long.

Well, Miss Patchy is telling me that it is time to sleep some more, so I will go now.

Regards,

Mina

No comments:

Post a Comment