Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Just We Two - Strange Times

I haven’t yet had time to play today.  I just finished breakfast a short time ago and had to take a little nap before playing.  I lay in the office window and slept off breakfast.

I would like to talk about something strange that happened the other night.  We were all sitting in the living room, watching television.  I can’t remember what was on, but I think it was just changing all the time, the way it does sometimes when Dad has the little box in his hand.  Anyway, we were just sitting there and Mom and Dad were talking, when all the lights went out.  The television went out, too, and the ceiling fans stopped.  It was a little scary, but Miss Patchy and I could see okay.  I’m not sure about Mom and Dad.  Dad stayed on the couch, and Mom walked slowly into the kitchen.  When she came out of the kitchen, she had some sort of a stick in her hand.  When she made the stick click, light came out of it.  It made a little circle of light on the floor, or on the wall, or wherever it settled.  When Mom got back to the living room, she lit a candle and there was some light in the room then.  I found it all very odd.  Why didn’t they just turn on the lights and the television?  There must have been some sort of reason why.

After a few minutes of sitting in the light of the candle, Mom told Dad that she was going to go upstairs on the roof to see if everybody’s lights were off.  The little circle of light from the light stick went up with her.  I ran up after her and managed to dash out onto the roof before Mom could stop me.  It was very exciting!  There was a really bright light coming down from the sky.  Who needed lights?  Mom looked around and said that everybody’s light were off except for some way off, where she could see some lights.  I couldn’t see, because of the wall.  I was going to go up on the wall to see what I could see, but Mom grabbed me and took me back inside before I could do so.

We went back downstairs and Mom and Dad talked some more.  Mom said they might as well go to bed, since they couldn’t watch television or read or anything.  She said they could talk in the dark in bed just as well as in the dark in the living room.  It had been dark for quite a while by then, so they went upstairs and got ready for bed.  Mom turned off the switches on the cords in the office, turned off the cold air machine, and turned on the light switch for the shower light.  They weren’t in bed for long before the shower light came on.  Mom got up and turned on the cold air and turned off the shower light and the two of them went to sleep.

Why did the lights go off?  Will I ever find out?  Did Mom or Dad do something?  Why were all the lights off when Mom looked around from the roof?  Where does the light come from anyway?  All I know is that someone clicks a switch on the wall and there is light.  I have asked Miss Patchy, but she doesn’t know either.  She also said she didn’t really care, just as long as there is light and she is comfortable and gets good food.  I certainly appreciate all those things, but I am really curious about the missing lights.  Mom said something about electricity and power.  I don’t know what that is, but it must have something to do with the lights.  I guess I will have to let it go for now, since no one seems to be able to explain it to me.

Another strange thing happened yesterday.  I found the balloon.  It didn’t run away after all.  It was just hiding, probably embarrassed because it was getting small.  It looked as though it might be fun to play with since it was smaller, so I jumped on it, intending to pick it up.  Well, it made a loud noise and turned into a little piece of plastic.  That scared me.  What happened?  Another mysterious event!  The world is just full of strange, unexplainable things.  Dad threw what was left of the balloon in the garbage, along with the string that was attached to it.  Maybe another balloon will come to visit us some day.

Mom got mad at me yesterday.  She went into the office in the morning and found that I had pulled a skirt off a hanger.  She has several things hanging on a hook on the door.  I just can’t resist her clothes.  Also, it’s fun to make her mad.  Anyway, she picked up the skirt and looked it over carefully to make sure I hadn’t put any holes in it and then put it back on the hanger, saying that she must iron it.  What is ironing?  Maybe I will find out soon, if she irons the skirt.

Well, I think I hear my toys calling me to play.  I’ll just finish a short nap first and then be off.

Regards,

Mina

No comments:

Post a Comment